All movies have English subtitles
Tickets: $5, Show Times - 7:00 PM
At each screening, a moderator will introduce the movie and facilitate a discussion at the conclusion of the film.
January 25 & 26
After the Wedding
2006 120 min Rated R
Director: Susanne Bier
The orphanage which Jacob runs in India is threatened for closure. He receives an offer from a Danish businessman Jørgen, who offers him a donation of four million dollars with conditions that Jacob returns to Denmark and take part in the wedding of Jørgen's daughter. The wedding proves to be the most intense dilemma of Jacob’s life.
- Academy Awards 2007 (Nominated for Best Foreign Language Film)
- Bodil Awards 2007 (Best Supporting Actor)
- Festróia - Tróia Int. Film Festival 2007 (Best Director, Best Actor)
- Rouen Nordic film Festival 2007 ( Best Actress)
- European Film Award 2006 (Nominated for Best Director & Best Actor)
February 22 & 23
2006 121 min Rated R
Director: Pedro Almodóvar
Raimunda (Penelope Cruz in a stunning performance), who lives in Madrid with her daughter and drunk husband, visits her aunt Paula in the village in La Mancha where she lost her parents in a fire years ago. Paula continues to speak about her sister Irene, Raimunda’s mother, as if she were still alive. When the old aunt dies the past returns in a twist of mystery and suspense.
- Academy Awards 2007 (Nominated for Best Actress in a Leading Role)
- Argentinean Film Critics Association Awards 2007 (Best Foreign Film)
- Cinema Writers Circle Awards, Spain 2007 (Best Film, Best Director, Best Actress)
- Czech Lions 2007 (Best Foreign Language Film)
- BAFTA Awards 2007 (Nominated for Best Actress in a Leading Role)
- Cannes Film Festival 2006 (Best Actress & Best Screenplay)
March 29 & 30
A Good Hearted Daughter-in-law
2008 116 min Rated NR
Director: Abel Vang
After the death of her husband and two sons, Va Cha returns to the northern lands of her husband’s clan. One daughter-in-law decides to follow her into a marginal village existence in a steeply patriarchal society. Inspired by the biblical story of Ruth, it is a tale of two widows bounded by loss and love.
Note: The Hmong National Development, Inc will hold its 14th Hmong National Conference here in Appleton from April 3-5, 2009. NEW World Cinema is very proud to be a part of it by screening this film at the dawn of this conference.
April 26 & 27, 2009
In the Name of God
2007 168 min Rated R
Director: Shoaib Mansoor
Since 9/11 the Muslims are caught up in an unfortunate situation. There is a war going on between the fundamentalists and the liberals Muslims, creating a rift not only between the western world and the Muslims but also within the Muslim community. Educated and modern Muslims, because of their approach towards life, are harassed by the fundamentalists -- and on the other hand, the western world sees them as potential suspects of terrorism.
- Asian First Film Festival 2008 (Best Cinematography)